• University of Miami Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
Fellowship: Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Ranked #1 by U.S. News & World Report. American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons approved fellowship
• University of Southern California Doheny Eye Institute
• University of California , Los Angeles UCLA
• University of Southern California School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
• University of California , Los Angeles UCLA
Bachelor of Science in Biology, Cum Laude
• Assistant Clinical Professor: USC Keck School of Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology.
• Clinical Fellow: University of Miami School of Medicine
Honors, Awards and Achievements
•Honors Citation: Ophthalmology Clerkship
• Honors Citation: General Surgery Clerkship
• Honors Citation: Family Medicine Clerkship
• Letter of Commendation: General Surgery Clerkship
• Letter of Commendation: Gross Anatomy Course
• Award Reception: General Surgery Clerkship
• President of Project Case Report (1999- 2000)
• USC-Baxter Research Fellowship Grant (1999)
• President of American Medical Student Association, USC Chapter (1997-98)
• Aull Scholarship, USC School of Medicine (1997)
• Student Research Fellowship Grant (1997)
• Linden Scholarship, USC School of Medicine (1996)
• Cum Laude Graduate, UCLA
• President of Phi Sigma Biology Honor Society, UCLA chapter (1995-96)
• Dean's Honor List 7 quarters, UCLA
• Doheny Eye Institute Resident Research Award ARVO 2003
• Nesbaurn Award for Best Clinical Research Paper by a Resident 2003
• Board of Directors. University of Miami School of Medicine Project ARPAN :
Mission to deliver medical and surgical care to developing countries.
First mission - Dec. 2005 Deesa, India
Memberships in professional societies
• American Medical Association
• American Academy of Ophthalmology
• Cedar Sinai Medical Center pediatric craniofacial surgery team member
Publications & Abstracts
• Effect of CO 2 Pneumoperitoneum on Intra-Abdominal Malignancy:
Experimental Study in the Rat Model.
Parsa K, Campos GMR, Trussler AP, Kassabian A, Katkhouda N. Annual Research Forum,
University of Southern California School of Medicine : Los Angeles , California ; March 17, 1999 .
• Ectopia Lentis et Pupillae:
Descriptive case report of six family members showing multiple phenotypes of the same disease.
Parsa K, Murthy R, Patel R, Appukuttan B, Ott S, Wang X, Parsa S, Mahsheed M, Stout JT. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology,
ARVO: Fort Lauderdale , FL. May 2000.
• Renal cell carcinoma metastatic to the pancreas: a single-institution series and review of the literature .
Kassabian A, Stein J, Jabbour N, Parsa K, Skinner D, Parekh D, Cosenza C, Selby R. UROLOGY. 2000 Aug 1; 56 (2): 211- 5 Review.
• Changing Patterns of Uveitis Diagnoses in a Referral Clinic.
Read R 2 , Parsa K 1 , Torshizy HR 3 , Smith RE 1 , Rao NA 1 . Doheny Eye Institute,
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 1 , Department of Ophthalmology,
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 2 , University of California, Irvine 3 .
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology ARVO: Fort Lauderdale FL. May 2001.
• Contact lens tolerance in aphakic patients with congenital cataracts after cataract extraction.
Parsa K, Javaheri M, Shaarawy R, Song JC. Abstract submitted for presentation at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons meeting: March 2003.
• Congenital Aniridia: A Descriptive Case Report of Six Family Members Showing Multiple Phenotypes of the Same Disease with genetic analysis of the PAX -6 gene.
Parsa K, Javaheri M, Song JC, Borchert M. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, ARVO: Fort Lauderdale , FL. May 2003.
• Positioning and stability evaluation of the Neo-Vista Brachytherapy system.
Parsa K, Fujii GY, Humayun M, Rossi JV, Trip R, Faupel L, Barnes A, McCormick M, de Juan E. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, ARVO: Fort Lauderdale , FL. April 2004.
• Ocular Trauma:
Management of Eyelid Lacerations . Parsa K, Lee W, Editor: James Banta. 2005 Elsevier.
• Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the lacrimal sac: a case report with review of literature.
Parsa K, Piva A, Chang E. (To be submitted to Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery).
• Orbital Granuloma Annulare: Immunohistochemical Staining Patterns, A Case Report and Review. Schefler AC, Parsa K, Dubovy SR, Lee WW. (submitted to Archives of Ophthalmology).
• A New Surgical Technique for the Management of Malignant Lacrimal Sac Tumors.
Parsa K, Weed DT, Tse DT. (To be submitted to Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery)
• Minimal incision Trans-Bleph Browpexy.
Parsa K, Johnson TE. (To be submitted to Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery).
PROJECTS AND GRANTS
Development of customized facial implants for reconstruction.
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. In collaboration with Synthes Corporation.
Preceptor: David Tse, M.D., Thomas Johnson M.D., Jesus Gomez D.D.S
Role of biofilms in chronic infections of oculo-facial implants.
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Southern California : Center for Biofilm Research.
Preceptor: Thomas E. Johnson, M.D., William Costerton, PhD
Development of an animal model for adenoid cystic carcinoma.
University of Southern California , Los Angeles , CA . Department of Ophthalmology .
Preceptor: Eli Chang, M.D.
DNA linkage and mutation analysis for ectopia lentis et pupillae:
Presented at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology ARVO; May 5, 2000 .
University of Southern California , Los Angeles , CA , Department of Ophthalmology
Preceptor: Timothy J. Stout, M.D.
Grant: Research Scholarship awarded by the USC Scholarship Fund. (1999)
The morbidity and mortality of laparoscopic versus open appendectomy.
Department of Surgery, University of Southern California (1997)
Preceptor: Namir Katkhouda, M.D.
Grant: Research Scholarship awarded by the Baxter Scholarship Fund. (1997)
Participated in ongoing research on HIV at the molecular level; studying HIV integration,
AZT resistance, and long-term survivors.
Department of Infectious Diseases, UCLA (1993-1995)
Preceptor: William O'Brien, M.D.
• Evaluation of ptosis: March 15, 2005 . Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
• Surgical Management of ptosis: April 22, 2005 . Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
• Eyelid Reconstruction: November 11, 2005 . Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
• Eyelid Reconstruction: December 23, 2005 . Deesa , India (ARPAN, surgical mission)
• Oculoplastic Review: March 03, 2006 . Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
• Innovations in complex orbital reconstruction: March 11, 2006 . University of California Irvine
• Custom Oculofacial Implants: November 2006. American Academy of Ophthalmology Meeting Las Vegas , Nevada
• Complex Orbital Reconstruction: Jan 20, 2007. Lecture, American College of Surgeons Meeting. Santa Barbara, California
• Innovations in Complex Orbital Reconstruction. November 3, 2007. Cedar Sinai Medical Center, Advances in Facial Plastic Surgery Meeting
• Eyelid Malignancies. March 2008. Los Angeles County Optometric Society Spring Meeting
MEDIA AND NEW RELEASES
• Doctors Begin Removing 16-Pound Growth From Teen's Face. :: Read more
• Girl Recovers After 2nd Surgery To Remove Facial Growth. :: Read more
• Girl learning to smile again. :: Read more
• Haitian girl healing "according to plan" after facial surgery. :: Read more
• Television studio interview: “This Week in South Florida with Michael Putney” Dec 18 th , 2005 . ABC , WPLG-Channel 10
• Discovery Health: Marlie's New Face.