Minimally Invasive Treatments
with Maximum Results!
There are many instances where either the patient is not ready for a more invasive surgery or they are simply not a good candidate to undergo surgery. In these instances, a quick CO2 laser resurfacing can help tighten the skin around the eyes, eliminating some of the fine wrinkles and helping to give a lift to the eyelids. Having performed thousands of these procedures I’ve perfected a pattern to the eyelid resurfacing that I’ve termed The Butterfly Lift ™. This pattern maximizes the power of the laser in a safe setting to allow for optimal results and recovery. Here are some common questions about CO2 laser resurfacing.
- What is fractionated CO2 laser?
- How does fractional CO2 laser work?
- What can you expect from this procedure?
- How many treatments will I need?
- Who is an ideal candidate?
- The day of procedure?
- How long does the procedure take?
- Can I drive home?
- How long is recovery?
- What are the post procedure instructions?
- When can I get back to work?
- Can I wear makeup?
- How much does it cost?
- OK I want to know if I’m a candidate how should I proceed?
Fractional or “pixilated” carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers are one of the latest advances in non-surgical skin rejuvenation treatments. The CO2 laser has the longest wavelength of all the lasers on the market and can be used safely on darker skin types with appropriate adjustments in the settings.
The fractional CO2 laser is a technology that allows laser resurfacing of the skin in a grid like pattern. These fractionated laser beams are able to penetrate the deeper layers of skin. The skin then repairs those tiny shafts by pushing out the old damaged skin and replacing it with new skin. The heat from the laser allows tightening of the skin as well.
Tightening of the skin, reduction in fine lines and wrinkles, and a small lift to the eyelids.
Depending on your skin type most people just need one to two treatments separated by 6 to 12 months. Again this procedure is customized to you and the specificity of the treatment needs to be individualized.
Most people, except very dark skinned individuals.
It is probably best to get a ride or Uber to the office. When you get to our office we will take some pictures and apply numbing cream around the areas to be treated. The numbing cream is removed after 15 to 20 minutes. At this point you are taken to the laser room where a protective eye shield is placed to protect your eyes. The laser is then safely performed.
Expect to be at our office for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Although you may drive home we highly recommend you getting a ride or an Uber/Lyft.
5 to 7 days, depending on the patient.
DAY OF TREATMENT:
- Keep treated areas covered with topical ointment/cream as instructed by physician.
- Apply cooling compresses (e.g. a bag of frozen peas or wet paper towels frozen in Ziploc bag) Note: do not apply ice directly to skin and do not use towels, as detergents may irritate skin.
- If desired, you may spray water mist on skin using distilled or spring water.
- May take an analgesic Tylenol for discomfort.
- Sleep with head slightly elevated.
- Place paper towel over pillow to protect from ointment/cream.
- If experiencing irritation to the eye, may use an eye lubricant (e.g. Systane™).
DAY 1 (FIRST DAY AFTER TREATMENT):
- Avoid direct sunlight and excessive heat.
- Begin washing face 2-3 times a day with room temperature water and Cetaphil.
- May take shower and wash hair. Avoid hot water.
- Re-apply Aquaphor to treated area. Ensure skin remains constantly moist.
- Swelling should subside and skin may bronze and feel gritty.
- Itching may begin on this day.
- Continue applying ointment/cream (and cool compresses, if needed).
- Continue washing face with Cetaphil and room temperature water.
- For extreme itching, hydrocortisone cream (OTC 1%) may be applied. AVOID picking and/or scratching.
- Itching has usually subsided.
- You may start more aggressive washing with fingertips to promote further exfoliation (do not pick).
- Use non-irritating sun block SPF 30+ with zinc oxide (7-9%) and/or titanium dioxide when going outside.
- You may apply mineral makeup i.e. Oxygenetix can be used. You can ask one of our office staff to color match this foundation to your skin tone.
- Continue appropriate moisturizer until skin has hydrated back to its normal level (3-4 weeks).
- You may start regular skin care program as long as treated area is healed (no exfoliation).
- Continue applying non-irritating sunblock (SPF 30+) and use mineral makeup
- Avoid exposure to excessive sun for up to 4 weeks (hat or clothing must be used to protect treated areas).
Most people go back to work after 2 to 3 days depending on the type of work.
Butterfly lift is between $900 to 1800 depending on the area.
Please contact our office at 310 777 8880 or email us for your appointment. We look forward to seeing you soon.