ANESTHESIA CASE: Nothing to drink or eat after midnight the evening before surgery. (Eight hours prior to surgery). Includes water, mint or gum.
LOCAL CASE: No need to fast. May have light breakfast. Please refrain from taking any prescribe medications from Dr. Parsa until instructed to do so.
- Arrange for a ride from surgery, all patients must have someone pick them up from surgery. No Taxi’s or Ubers.
- Avoid smoking for 4 weeks before and after your surgery date.
- Do not consume alcohol for one week before and after surgery.
- Leave all valuables, including jewelry at home.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing, button/zip shirt.
- Do not wear make-up or any type of lotion.
- Please do not wear your contacts to surgery.
- Check with your doctor about taking prescribed medicines on the morning of surgery. (take with very little water)
- Do not take aspirin or aspirin-containing products, ibuprofen, Vitamin E, fish oils or Ginkgo Biloba at least two weeks prior to surgery and after. (Please refer to 3 page list on Medications to Avoid)
- Notify our office of any change in your physical condition e.g. cold, cough, or if you have any questions.
OPTIONAL: (instructions if bought over the counter)
- Take Arnica Montana (30x) and Bromezyme (Bromelain 500mg). These medications aid with bruising and swelling. They may be purchased over the counter at a health food store, pharmacy or drug store.
- Arnica Montana (30x recommended) Begin taking Arnica four days before surgery. Take 4 tabs 4 times daily sublingually (under the tongue) continue taking arnica after surgery for another 6 days.
- Bromezyme (Bromelain) 500mg Begin taking Bromeyme 4 days before surgery. Take 1(500mg) tabs twice a day for 6 days. NOTE: IF given a prescription for Medrol, you will not take Bromezyme!
- PURCHASED AT OUR OFFICE: If you purchase the Arnika Forte from our office. You will only need to start the day before. Two pills a day.
Post-Surgery Care Instructions
Our Office # 310-777-8880 (LIVE OPERATOR after hours)
CALL OFFICE IF: -Excessive pain, swelling or bleeding, Temperature over 100°, vomiting
- ANESTHESIA CASES: Your First 24 Hours: If you are going home, a family member of friend must drive you because you have been sedated. Someone should stay overnight with you. If you choose to go to a postoperative center, they will provide transportation. If you have any questions about these matters, please ask one of our nursing staff.
- Dressing: Do not remove them unless instructed to do so. For the first two days, please bathe below the neck area. After two days, when showering, avoid water spray onto face for the first week. Do not rub eye area!!!
- Sleep on back only, keep head elevated and sleep on two pillows for at least on week.
- Avoid making any critical decisions, using machineries or appliances or driving for 2 days.
- Apply antibiotic ointment TWICE a day for 10 days.
- For upper eyelid surgery: apply along incision.
- For lower eyelid surgery: apply inside the eyelid without pulling eyelid.
- CO2 LASER AREA: Keep a coat of Aquaphor on laser area, do not rub or pick area. (see instructions)
RECOMMENDED: Use artificial tears (i.e Refresh plus) to keep the eyes lubricated. Use as often as needed.
- Ice Packs: Apply cold compresses to eyes for 48 hours, 20 minutes every hour 5 times a day. A wash cloth in ice cold water works best.
- Diet: If you have any post operative nausea, carbonated sodas and dry crackers may settle the stomach. Start with liquids and bland foods if you feel normal.
- Smoking and Alcohol: We advise not to smoke at all during the first 10 days after surgery. Alcohol increases postoperative bleeding so please do not drink until you have stopped taking the prescription pills. Combination of pain pills and alcohol can be dangerous.
- Post Operative Appointment: It is very important that you follow the schedule of appointments we establish after surgery.
- Sun Exposure: If fresh scars are exposed to the sun, they will tend to become darker and take longer to fade. Avoid sun exposure and take all precautions, use a big hat with a large rim and sunglasses anytime outside.
- Driving: Please don’t drive for at least 2 days after general anesthesia or intravenous sedation, while taking prescription pain pills and/or eye is patched.
- Activity/Sports: We encourage walking after two days to keep the blood circulating. We want you to avoid straining or any aerobic activity for at least 3 weeks after surgery including bending and lifting heavy objects (10 lbs or more). This is to avoid bleeding, bruising, and swelling. Do not resume strenuous exercise for 3 to 4 weeks. Dr. Parsa will give you clearance to increase your activities according to the progress of your recovery.
- Avoid straining eyes with computers, cell phones and TV.
- No make-up or creams and lotions on surgery area for 2 weeks.
- DO NOT wear contact lenses until instructed by Dr. Parsa to do so after surgery.